Tuesday, August 2, 2011

2nd Topic - more about Identity!

In today's post I want to elaborate a little on Identity and how it can be viewed by other people. According to the comments I've gotten so far, I think that people know that they are perceived differently by other people in social settings as compared to how you perceive your own identity. When your identity is viewed by other people it is looked at in the way you associate or affiliate with them in that social location. Social categories (gender, race, class, sexuality, etc.) would then be used by other people to place you in a category or group so that they can identify with you and figure out your likenesses and differences.

There are different levels or social locations that can be considered when you think about how other people perceive your identity. They include: the micro level - yourself, home, family; the meso level - at school, work or your church; the macro level - media or the government.

In my life, up until about 2 years ago, I lived as a heterosexual woman. Because of this I believe that I am still viewed as this by my sometimes by my friends, family, coworkers, and acquaintances that I come into contact with on a daily basis. When I made the decision to come out it was difficult for me because I was scared to be treated differently because of my sexuality. Since I've come out, I do not feel that I am treated differently because I am gay.

At work, I have come out to most of my co-workers but I am treated as Martha, their co-worker, and only as that. In other social communities that I am apart of I have not necessarily come out to everyone but I also do not feel that it is really necessary because I am still Martha. In the choir, I am an Alto and that is what matters in that social location. In my classes at SU, I am a student in the class. I don't believe that my personal identity matters in this social location because I am still a student and I am learning the same that they are. I believe that my identity that is perceived is based on the social location I am in at the time. So, therefore, I do not believe that my personal identity is important to people that I interact with and am not close with.

I would like to know: When you interact with someone in a social location, do you feel you try to place that person into a category? If you do, why do you do that? Do you think it's important to know their personal identity in order to interact with them? How do you feel your personal identity affects you in your everyday life? Do you feel you are treated differently by other people because of your personal identity?

3 comments:

  1. I am going to break this down by each question to simplify it for me.

    1. When you interact with someone in a social location, do you feel you try to place that person in a category? I think I do my best not to put people into a category in a social location. I am not a fan of "compartmentalizing" people and try to take people on face value and/or my personal experience with them or my personal interaction with them.

    2. Do you think it's important to know their personal identity in order to interact with them? I do not feel it is important to know someone's personal identity in order for me to be able to interact with them. People that know me will tell you that I am the type of person who will strike up a conversation with a complete stranger, no matter what the social location. It's who I am.

    3. How do you feel your personal identity affects you in your every day life? My personal identity probably does affect me in my every day life in ways I am not even aware of. For instance, when I am advocating for my son who has disabilities, I become the "mom" and have certain things I have to adhere to because I am playing the role of the "mom" in that situation. In my every day life with my personal friends, I get to be just ME because the friends I have love me no matter what and my identity doesn't matter to them. In my work life, I am the "employee" so I have to adhere to playing the role of the "employee" by toning down my personality a bit so as to "fit in" in the work environment. I am a very energetic person and I have to tone that down in the work place because that's how I am required to act as the "employee" when I am at work. (Hope that makes sense.)

    4. Do you feel you are treated differently by other people because of your personal identity? I sometimes feel that people do treat me differently because of my personal identity, depending on the social location I am in. If I am with my friends, I am treated as just me. With my kids, I am absolutely treated differently because of my identity. My kids treat me like their "mom" when I'm playing that role in their lives. My daughter, in particular, sometimes gets confused by certain parts of my identity and may treat me differently because of that. At work, I am absolutely treated differently because of my personal identity. As a "secretary", sometimes I am treated as "just the secretary", so to speak, by other people and may be thought of as "less than" or "not as smart as" some people that are at different pay grades than I am.

    In a nut shell, it ain't easy being me but I do a great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. When you interact with someone in a social location, do you feel you try to place that person into a category?

    Yes, I do.


    2. If you do, why do you do that?

    It helps me to understand where they are coming from and be sensitive to topics that may make them feel uncomfortable.

    3. Do you think it's important to know their personal identity in order to interact with them?

    Yes, I do. I feel it makes communicating with someone a lot easier if you know their person identity. Also, if someone tries to hide something from me, I wonder why they are ashamed of themselves or view them as untrustworthy.

    4. How do you feel your personal identity affects you in your everyday life?

    I feel that I am judged for who I am, what I have, etc. Not always in a good way either. However, I cannot control someone else's thoughts/opinions and it doesn't bother me at all.

    5. Do you feel you are treated differently by other people because of your personal identity?

    Yes, I feel I am judged (sometimes harshly) for what I have and what I have accomplished. On the other hand, I do feel I get special privileges in certain circumstances because of my personal identity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I'm in a social environment, I don't purposely place people in categories. In most situations I don't stop to think about what people like or prefer. On occasion I do catch myself categorizing certain individuals by their mannerisms. I think this happens because our culture upbringing includes judging others based on what we see. I don't think I do it on purpose and I try not to let it affect my actions if I'm interacting with that person. I think some people act a certain way because they want others to identify them into a particular social setting (i.e. how gangs wear certain colors to affiliate themselves.)

    I don't think it is necessary to know the intimate details of someone's identity if I'm not interacting with them on a personal level. If it's a general acquaintance, I'm going to treat them with respect like anyone else. If a friend or coworker wanted to share their personal identity details with me, I would be accepting an open without it changing my feelings about that person. You said it well yourself by saying that you are simply Martha.

    I feel that my personal identity as society sees me creates negative or limiting stereotypes. I feel it is up to me to be positive and influence the way others perceive me to see that I'm a good person. I know I'm treated differently due to my identity because our culture dictates those biases. For instance, I can be turned down for a job because I'm overqualified or I can be viewed as lazy and gluttonous because I'm overweight. I also think that all races and genders are treated differently because of their uniqueness. Humans can't handle what they aren't comfortable with and unfortunately it depends on how you were raised and what you know about other cultures.

    ReplyDelete